Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sweetie Pie's


So, Tony has been trying to get me to eat at a soul food restaurant called Sweetie Pie's since we moved to St. Louis and I've been resisting. Finally, I ran out of excuses and we ate there on last night. Before going, I did research the restaurant a little. I learned that it's been featured on the Food Network's show Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives (or whatever that show is called) and I also read a few reviews including:

"If your goal is to gain a couple hundred pounds, clog your arteries and have a good time doing it, this is the place for you!"
"It's as if Jesus came down and laid his hands on that mac n' cheese, y'all."

You can see why I was little nervous about what I was getting into!

Well, Tony, Jean, and I dined there Friday night and I have to say that it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought that it would be. The restaurant is really cute with lots of large windows and a huge St. Louis themed mural. It's cafeteria style, but there are plenty of friendly waiters and waitresses that grab your tray and carry it to your table for you. And the food? It's excellent! Tony and I both had the fried catfish and it was extra crispy just like I like! The mac n cheese was a favorite of all of ours. My only complaint was the cornbread which was a little dry. Tony also loved the sweet potato pie.

After I only ate half of what's on my plate, Tony threatened to break my hand if I didn't get a to go box for him. He's so mean at times, but I definitely got the point that he enjoyed it and we'll be returning again.



No comments:

Post a Comment