Monday, September 19, 2011

First Impressions of Minneapolis

My next stop for work brought me to Minneapolis.  This was my first time to visit the Twin Cities, and I must say, this is a gorgeous area.  I can see why so many people tolerate the miserable winters to live in such an amazing city.  While everyone else was experiencing 100+ temperatures, it was in the low 70's!  I was traveling with a colleague, and we made a pact to eat all of our meals outside while we were there.


The downtown area is beautiful and thriving.  Our first night, we had dinner downtown at an Italian restaurant Zelo.  http://www.zelomn.com/

They had a great outdoor area, so we enjoyed people watching.  I was surprised and entertained by how many pedicabs there were for the area.  Also, the food was amazing.  It is located in a very old, historic building that has been renovated with a distinct artistic eye.  If you ever find yourself in Minneapolis, I highly recommend this restaurant.  Order the bruschetta!

I was also surprised to learn how many major companies like Target and Best Buy were headquartered in downtown Minneapolis.  There is actually a Target store downtown that is connected by a sky bridge to the company headquarters.  I would drive out of my way just to not have to work at that store!


The Mighty Mississippi

I was surprised by how many people didn't realize that Minneapolis sits on the banks of the Mississippi.  The actual start of the river is still a few hours north of the city.  I actually drove across the bridge to St. Paul so that I could walk along the banks of the Mississippi, and take a few pictures of the downtown Minneapolis area.


Minnesota Twins Stadium

This brand new stadium just opened in 2010 and is located in the heart of downtown Minneapolis.  I have to admit that I can't stand the look of it.  I have futuristic looking stadiums.



More pictures from the Mississippi.


Lake Calhoun

Minneapolis is famous for their lakes, so I had to take some time to visit a few that were near downtown.  Lake Calhoun was a beautiful area with a developed lake front.  In addition to the bike paths, the area also boasted a small cafe, boat rental, and an outdoor theater.


Lake Harriet

Obviously, I had to visit Lake Harriet!  This area was closer to downtown. From what I understand, the area right next to it has become quite the hip area for young professionals in Minneapolis.  The streets were filled with cafes, boutiques, and bars.


I preferred Lake Harriet for a few reasons, but mainly because it had an actual beach front.  I kicked off my shoes and enjoyed wading in the water for a bit!


No comments:

Post a Comment